Menu path: UMS Administration > Global Configuration > Active Directory / LDAP
It can make sense to link the UMS server to an existing Active Directory for two reasons:
- You would like to import users from the AD as UMS administrator accounts.
- You would like to use user profiles via IGEL Shared Workplace.
For both purposes, you first need to link the relevant Active Directories in the UMS Administration area under Global Configuration > Active Directory / LDAP. See also the how-to Configuring an AD Connection.
- Add a new entry to the list of linked Active Directories by selecting Add (+).
Specify the Domain Name.
Enter the Domain Controller(s) (semicolon separated list).
Specify the Page Size.
The page size limits the number of hits (i.e. objects) in the Active Directory on the server side. The default value is "1000".
- Enter valid user data under User name and Password.
For the user, the read permission is sufficient since no changes will be made to the AD data.
- Specify aliases under UPN Suffix if they have been configured (semicolon separated list). Example:
Click Test connection to check the connection.Several Active Directories can be linked. You should therefore ensure that you provide the correct domain when logging in (e.g. to the UMS console).
In this document, the terms "Active Directory" and "LDAP" are, to an extent, used interchangeably:
- Administrative users / UMS administrators can be imported both from an AD and from an LDAP.
- Shared Workplace users can only authenticate themselves only vis-à-vis an Active Directory. An LDAP service cannot be used for this purpose.
- Click Ok to save the changes.