Further HA servers – with UMS Server, UMS Load Balancer, or both – can be installed in the same way as the first one. However, you do not need to create a new IGEL network token. Instead, you must select the network token created previously during the installation of the first server in an HA network.
In addition, a connection with the same database that is used by the first server must be established. The UMS HA network only works if all servers are connected to the same database.
A High Availability (HA) installation with a configured database, see Installing the First Server in an HA Network.
The database connection should be defined during the installation of the first UMS Server in an HA network. In this case, all relevant configuration information is automatically copied to the additional UMS Servers.
The IGEL network token created during the installation of the first server in the HA network, see Installing the First Server in an HA Network.
- A server with the operating system supported by the UMS; see the "Supported Environment" section of the release notes.
- All installation requirements described under Installation Requirements are fulfilled.
- The same version of the UMS as for the first HA server is downloaded from the IGEL Download Server.
To add a new server to the UMS HA installation, follow the instructions in the order given:
- Preparing the Server
- Preparing the IGEL Network Token
- Starting the Installation
- Checking the Installation
Preparing the Server
- Verify that the server can "see" the other servers via the network.
All UMS Servers and UMS Load Balancers must reside on the same VLAN. Network traffic must be allowed over UDP broadcast port 6155, and TCP traffic and UDP broadcast traffic over port 61616. For more information on UMS ports, see UMS Communication Ports.
Note: IGEL UMS Server HA is not supported in cloud environments like Azure / AWS as they do not allow broadcast traffic within their networks.
- Verify that the time on all servers is synchronized.
To avoid problems with your HA installation, make sure that the time on the servers of the HA network does not differ by more than one minute. After each manual time reset, the HA services on the relevant server must be restarted.
- For Linux systems, make the directory
/rootwritable for the user
Preparing the IGEL Network Token
If you have not yet done so, save the IGEL network token created during the installation of the first HA server, e.g. on a portable storage medium.
If the path has not been changed, the file
IGEL-Network.token can be found by default in the home directory of the administrator user on a UMS Server host.
Starting the Installation
Launch the UMS installer.
You need administration rights to install the IGEL UMS HA.
Read and confirm the License Agreement.
Read the Information regarding the installation process.
Select a path for the installation.
Select the components to be installed depending on your desired HA network configuration. See also Configuration Options.
- Confirm the message regarding licensing of the HA Extension.
- Select the UMS data directory, in which Universal Firmware Updates and files are to be saved.
- Disable the option for creating an IGEL network token.
Select the IGEL network token to be used.
Specify a folder name for the shortcut.
- Read the summary and start the installation process.
Close the UMS installer once the installation is complete.
If you have included a UMS Server in the installation, the UMS installer creates entries in the Windows software directory and the start menu. The UMS Console and UMS Administrator applications are installed, and a shortcut for the UMS Console is placed on the desktop.
If you have installed an individual load balancer, only the option for uninstalling the UMS will be set up in the Windows start menu. No configuration on the load balancer is necessary. It connects automatically to the HA network during booting.
Checking the Installation
- Check if all processes are running. For the list of UMS HA processes, see HA Services and Processes.
- If you have included a UMS Server in the installation, open UMS Administrator > Datasource and verify that the database connection has been successfully transferred from the already running UMS Server.
Default path to the UMS Administrator:
The IGEL UMS Administrator application can only be started on the UMS Server.
If the database connection has not been defined automatically, enter under UMS Administrator > Datasource > Add exactly the same database parameters you used during the installation of the first HA server and click Activate.
- In the UMS Console, go to UMS Administration > UMS Network and check the items Server and/or Load Balancer.