You want to install the IGEL UMS in such a way that new devices will be stored directly in the correct directory and will automatically be assigned the right profiles.
With Zero Touch Deployment in the roll-out, devices will be configured automatically according to the profiles, with almost zero management outlay.
The idea of Zero Touch Deployment means automatic registration with automatic assignment of profiles by default directory rules.
In the end the device will be registered automatically in the UMS, will be assigned automatically to the right directory and will be related automatically to the valid profiles. To prepare this automated process you have to go the other way around. First define the profiles, then assign them to the directories, then create a default rule for the directory and automate the registration.
Preparing automatic roll-out:
Configure your device globally, indirectly assigning profiles by a parent directory:
- Create a new root directory.
- Assign certain profiles to this root directory.
- Move your devices or your directories containing devices to this root directory.
These devices will inherit the profiles assigned to the root directory.
Automating the roll-out:
- Click UMS Administration > Global Configuration > Default directory rules to create a new default directory rule.
- Choose the directory in which you want to store the thin clients according to the rule.
- Register the new thin clients.
Thanks to the default directory rule these devices will be stored in the right directory and will automatically receive the correct profiles.
The IGEL UMS administrator allows configuration of the UMS server to automatically register all devices without certificate that boot within the server’s network:
Activate Enable automatic registration under UMS Administration > Global Configuration > TC Network Settings > Automatic Registration, in order to register new devices.If this option is enabled, every thin client without certificate within the network will be “sucked in” by this UMS Server installation. So if a client is reset to factory defaults and reboots, it will be registered to the server immediately! We recommend Automatic Registration only for the time you need to register new clients within the network and to disable it again after registration is finished.
- To register IGEL devices automatically they have to get an information where to find the management server. There are two possibilities:
- DNS entry
igelrmserver(The Type must be: Record Type A)
DHCP option 224 has to be set as string (not DWORD) to IP address of the UMS server.
- DHCP option (224)
- DNS entry