Menu path: UMS Administrator > Backups
Default path to the UMS Administrator:
To create a backup of the UMS installation with the embedded database, proceed as follows:
- In the left-hand column, select Backups.
- Click on Change next to the Directory entry field to change the destination directory.
The file selection window will appear.
- Specify the storage location for your backups.
- Click on Create.
- Under Backup name, enter a name for this backup.
- Select the data backup settings:
The following can be selected:
- Select all: Database, licenses, server configurations, and transfer files (normally, you’ll use this option to ensure that no components are missing from the backup)
- Legacy: Database
- All files: Licenses and files
Note that licenses and files which have not been registered in the UMS, but are only stored in the system web resources (e.g. were manually placed in folders
ums_filetransfer) are NOT backed up by the UMS Administrator.
Custom: You can select the data which are to be backed up.As of UMS version 5.09, all certificates are included in the database backup.
Universal Firmware Updates
The files of firmware updates are not part of the UMS embedded DB backup. They are not included in the Transfer files backup, and, therefore, have to be copied manually from
[IGEL installation directory]/rmguiserver/webapps/ums_filetransfer.
The backup of Server configurations includes most configurations of the Settings area in the UMS Administrator application. Exceptions: GUI server port, JWS server port, and ciphers – they are host-specific, i.e. stored separately on each server and cannot be part of any backup. Therefore, you should note the values of these settings if they differ from the defaults and, in the case of recovery/migration procedure, they must be changed on each server manually.
Confirm your selection by clicking on OK.
The data will be saved in the directory you have selected.
The full range of backup options in the UMS Administrator is only available if you use the embedded database for your UMS Server installation.
If you use an external database, proceed as follows to make a complete backup of your system:
For the database itself, use the backup and recovery procedures recommended by the DBMS manufacturer.
As of UMS version 5.09, all certificates are included in the database backup.
If you need to back up the certificates manually, you can find them here:
[IGEL installation directory]/rmtcserver/*(includes the
tc.keystorefile, which is necessary for the communication with the endpoint devices)
[IGEL installation directory]/rmclient/cacerts
[IGEL installation directory]/rmguiserver/cacerts
[IGEL installation directory]/rmguiserver/irm_keystore
Back up server configurations with the UMS Administrator > Backups > Create > Custom > Server configurations. Note separately host-specific configurations that differ from the defaults, see above Server configurations:
Licenses, files, and firmware updates must be backed up separately, i.e. manually copied to a secure storage medium. You can find them here:
[IGEL installation directory]/rmguiserver/webapps/e08ce61-d6df-4d2b-b44a-14c1ec722c44
Files and firmware updates
[IGEL installation directory]/rmguiserver/webapps/ums_filetransfer
- For HA installations only: Save the current IGEL network token. This is usually a token created during the installation, see Installing the First Server in an HA Network. If a new IGEL network token has been generated in the meantime, e.g. if changes to certificates were made (see "High Availability" under Certificate Management), this is the token to be backed up.