To install the IGEL Universal Management Suite on Windows, proceed as follows:
- When installing on 64-bit Windows, first install the required 32-bit support libraries as described in FAQ UMS Installation on 64-bit Systems
- Download the current version of the IGEL Universal Management Suite from the IGEL Download Server.
Launch the installer.
You will need administrator privileges for the computer in order to install the UMS.
- Read and confirm the License Agreement.
- Read the Information about the installation process.
- Select a Destination Location for the installation.
- If you have an existing UMS installation: Choose a file name for the backup if the Embedded Database, licenses and certificates. If you do not choose a file name and proceed, no backup will be created.
- Select Components
- Standard UMS
- with UMS Console
- with Embedded Database
- Only UMS Console: Installs the GUI Client only, which can connect to a remote UMS server
- UMS High Availability Network (requires license)
- UMS Server
- UMS Load Balancer
In most cases, you will work with the internal embedded database of the UMS. If you select "Standard UMS", this database will be installed automatically, without further costs. If you have to manage a large farm of thin clients or IGEL UDC2 migrated devices, and if there is already a dedicated database server in your company, then it is preferable to work with this external database. The same applies if you integrate the High Availability solution.
- Standard UMS
- Under UMS data directory, leave the suggestion or browse for a directory.
- Under User Credentials for DB-connect, enter user name and password for the database connection.
- Under Select Start Menu Folder, name the entry for the Windows start menu.
- Read the summary and start the installation process.
The installer will install the UMS, create entries in the Windows software directory and in the start menu, and place a start icon on the desktop.
- Close the program by clicking Finish once the installation is complete.
If you have chosen the standard installation, the UMS server will run with the Embedded Database.
- Launch the UMS console.
- Connect the UMS console to the server using the database credentials you entered during installation.
For using the UMS with an external database, you can find information under Connecting external databases.
Silent installation of the UMS console
You can carry out the installation silently by first creating an .inf file and then launching the installation using a command line.
Silent installation is only possible for the UMS console. It is not possible for the UMS administrator and the UMS server.
Further information can be found in the Unattended/silent installation of UMS console FAQs