In the following article, you will learn how you can register devices on the IGEL Universal Management Suite (UMS) using the Scan for Thin Clients function.
Searching for Devices
In order to find thin clients in the network, the following requirements must be met:
- The thin clients must be switched on and functioning.
- The firmware for the thin clients must support the UMS. This is the case with the following devices:
- IGEL thin clients with original firmware
- Devices on which IGEL OS was installed using IGEL Universal Desktop Converter 2/3 (UDC2/UDC3)
- Devices on which IGEL OS was booted via a UD Pocket
- Devices on which the UMA (Universal Management Agent) is running
To search for thin clients in the network and register them in the UMS, proceed as follows:
- Log in to the UMS Console.
- Click on .
The Scanning for Thin Clients window will open.
- Specify the search area:
If there are a number of network interfaces, you should bear in mind that the broadcast message is only sent via the first network interface. If you use Windows, this is under the first item in the list of network connections.
- Local Network of the UMS Server: The UMS server will send a broadcast message to the network.
If TCP is used for searching, the search procedure will take longer.
- IP Range: The UMS server contacts each thin client in the given range.
- List of IP Ranges: With Edit list, you can specify the IP ranges in which the UMS will search for thin clients.
- Use TCP for scanning: If this option is enabled, communication with the thin clients will take place via TCP. If this option is disabled, UDP will be used.
- Click on Scan.
The search results will be shown in the Found Thin Clients window. The thin clients can now be registered.
As soon as you have obtained the search result you can register new thin clients.
- If you only want to see thin clients with a specific feature in the Certificate stored, Unit ID, MAC Address, Name, IP Address or Product column, enter the corresponding character string in the Filter field.
- Select the thin clients that are to be registered. You have the following options:
- Manual selection: In the Include column, highlight the thin clients that are to be registered.
- Selecting all thin clients that are not yet registered: Click on Select New Ones. This will highlight all thin clients that have not yet received a server certificate from the UMS.
Click on OK.
The thin clients will now be registered in the UMS database. This may take some time.During registration, the UMS server certificate is saved on the thin client. Further access to the thin client will now be validated on the basis of this certificate. Only the owner of the certificate can manage the thin client.
The result of the procedure and any error messages will be displayed in a new window.
The thin clients will be placed in the Thin Clients directory in the navigation tree.