- A set of servers with the operating system supported by the UMS; see the "Supported Environment" section of the release notes.
- A database system supported by the UMS; see the "Supported Environment" section of the release notes.
- All installation requirements described under Installation Requirements are fulfilled.
- The current version of the UMS is downloaded from the IGEL Download Server.
For the first installation, it is advisable to use a server without an existing UMS installation.
To install the UMS High Availability (HA) Extension on the first server, follow the instructions in the order given:
- Preparing the Database
- Preparing the Servers
- Starting the Installation
- Defining the Database Connection
- Checking the Installation
- Saving the IGEL Network Token
Preparing the Database
Preparing the Servers
- Verify that each server can "see" the other servers via the network.
All UMS Servers and UMS Load Balancers must reside on the same VLAN. Network traffic must be allowed over UDP broadcast port 6155, and TCP traffic and UDP broadcast traffic over port 61616. For more information on UMS ports, see UMS Communication Ports.
Note: IGEL UMS Server HA is not supported in cloud environments like Azure / AWS as they do not allow broadcast traffic within their networks.
- Verify that the time on all servers is synchronized.
To avoid problems with your HA installation, make sure that the time on the servers of the HA network does not differ by more than one minute. After each manual time reset, the HA services on the relevant server must be restarted.
- For Linux systems, make the directory
/rootwritable for the user
Starting the Installation
Launch the UMS installer.
You will need administration rights in order to install the IGEL UMS HA.
Read and confirm the License Agreement.
Read the Information regarding the installation process.
Select a path for the installation.
Depending on your desired HA network configuration, select the components to be installed: UMS Server + UMS Load Balancer or UMS Server.
Installing UMS Server and UMS Load Balancer on Separate Servers
If you install HA network components on separate servers, UMS Server must always be installed first. In this case, the IGEL network token, which is required for the integration of further servers into the HA network, will be created. Additionally, the UMS Console and UMS Administrator applications, necessary for the further management of the installation, will be installed too. After configuring and enabling the database via the UMS Administrator, the UMS Server will be available in the HA network.
If you install an individual UMS Load Balancer, neither the IGEL network token nor UMS Console nor UMS Administrator will be installed. Only the option for uninstalling the UMS will then be set up in the Windows start menu.
- Select the UMS data directory, in which Universal Firmware Updates and files are to be saved.
- Enable the option for creating an IGEL network token.
Specify a directory for saving the IGEL network token. The directory must be writeable for the administrator.
Be sure to keep the IGEL network token in a safe place! It will be needed for all subsequent server installations. If the IGEL network token is lost, the complete installation must be started again.
Optional: Under Import existing keystore, you can load the
tc.keystorefile from an existing UMS installation.
This function can destroy your UMS installation. Do not import this file unless you know exactly what you are doing.
- Specify a folder name for the shortcut.
- Read the summary and start the installation process.
Close the UMS installer once the installation is complete.
The UMS installer creates entries in the Windows software directory and the start menu. A shortcut for the UMS Console will also be placed on the desktop.
Defining the Database Connection
- Open the UMS Administrator.
Default path to the UMS Administrator:
The IGEL UMS Administrator application can only be started on the UMS Server.
- Select Datasource > Add.
- Enter the connection properties of the prepared database schema. See also Setting up a Data Source.
- Click Activate to enable the data source. See also Activating a Data Source.
Checking the Installation
- Check if all processes are running. For the list of UMS HA processes, see HA Services and Processes.
- In the UMS Console, go to UMS Administration > UMS Network and check the items Server and Load Balancer if the complete UMS HA Extension has been chosen for the installation.
Saving the IGEL Network Token
IGEL-Network.token, on a storage medium which will be accessible when installing further HA servers (e.g. on the network or on a portable storage medium such as a USB stick). Always keep the IGEL network token well protected.
>> Proceed with adding a further server to the HA installation, see Adding Further Servers to the HA Network.