Download page Installation on Windows.
Installation on Windows
To install the IGEL Universal Management Suite under Windows, proceed as follows:
- Download the current version of the IGEL Universal Management Suite from the IGEL Download Server.
Launch the installer.
You will need administrator rights in order to install the UMS.
- Read and confirm the License Agreement.
- Read the Information regarding the installation process and click Next.
- Only if this is an update installation: If you already have a UMS installation, select the file name for the backup of your embedded database. If you do not choose a file name and click on Next, no backup will be created. See also Updating under Windows.
- Only if this is a new installation: Select the folder for the installation under Select Destination Location. (Default:
Choose the components to be installed under Select Components.
with UMS Console
with Embedded Database
Only UMS Console
UMS High Availability Network
UMS Load Balancer
UMS Web App (early feature set)
The embedded database is suitable for most purposes. If not disabled, the embedded database will automatically be installed if you select Standard UMS.
The use of an external database system is recommended in the following cases:
- You manage a large network of devices.
- A dedicated database system is already in use in your company.
- You integrate the High Availability solution.
- Read the Memory (RAM) requirements and click Next if your system fulfills them.
- Select the UMS data directory. (Default:
Under User Credentials for DB-connect, enter the user name and password for the database connection – unless you are planning to connect the UMS to an MS SQL Server via Active Directory. For more information on connecting via AD, see Connecting the UMS to an SQL Server via Active Directory.
The credentials for the database connection are created.
Initially, the credentials entered here are also the credentials of the UMS superuser. After the installation, the credentials for the database user and those for the UMS superuser can be changed independently from each other. For more information about the UMS superuser, see Changing the UMS Superuser.
- Review the settings under Windows firewall exclusions and change them where necessary. Each port that is activated here will be set as an exclusion in the Windows firewall on the UMS Server host machine. For more information about the usage of ports, see UMS Communication Ports.
- Choose a folder name under Select Start Menu Folder.
- Read the summary and start the installation process.
The installer will install the UMS, create entries in the Windows software directory, and in the start menu, and will place a shortcut for the UMS Console on the desktop.
- Close the program after completing the installation by clicking on Finish.
If you have chosen the standard installation, the UMS Server will run with the embedded database.
- Start the UMS Console.
- Connect the UMS Console to the UMS Server using the access data for the database that you entered during the installation.
You will find information regarding the use of the UMS with external databases under Connecting External Database Systems.
Silent Installation of the UMS Console
You can carry out the installation silently by first creating an
.inf file and then launching the installation using a command line.
Silent installation is only possible for the UMS Console. It is not possible for the UMS Server, the UMS Administrator, or the UMS Web App.
For further information, see Unattended / Silent Installation of the UMS Console.