The following installation and sizing guidelines are intended to support you with setting up the IGEL Universal Management Suite environment – UMS Server, UMS Console & UMS Web App, database, and, if required, load balancer and ICG instances.
The size and structure of the UMS setup depend mainly on the following criteria:
- Number of devices
- High Availablity
- ICG connection for devices outside of your company network
The Installation and Sizing Guidelines apply for a standard UMS setup and describe the most common UMS environments. Any individual exceptions or requirements may not be covered by these scenarios.
- System requirements: UMS 6.05 and newer, ICG 2.02 and newer
- All UMS Servers and UMS Load Balancers must reside on the same VLAN.
For High Availability (UMS HA), network traffic must be allowed over UDP broadcast port 6155, and TCP traffic and UDP broadcast traffic over port 61616. For further port configuration, see UMS Communication Ports.
Note: IGEL UMS Server HA is not supported in cloud environments like Azure / AWS as they do not allow broadcast traffic within their networks.
- UMS Console may be located inside the same (V)LAN as UMS Servers (no NAT, no proxies) or outside the VLAN with firewalls/routing configured according to UMS Communication Ports.
- Devices directly connected to the UMS Server are in the same (V)LAN as UMS Servers (no NAT, no proxies). If there is a firewall, it must be configured according to UMS Communication Ports.
- Devices outside of the internal LAN are connected via ICG.
- Devices are not booted/rebooted frequently (once a day on average).
- A maximum of 10 different firmware versions is managed via UMS.
- UMS backups and exports are not permanently stored on the UMS server host.
- In the case of automatic device registration (see Registering Devices Automatically): The DNS alias
igelrmserveror the DHCP tag can only point to ONE UMS installation. Therefore, the installation of several separate UMS Servers (without the High Availability Extension) in one network is not recommended.
Recommended Additional Information
UMS Communication Ports: Find a list with all ports that are relevant for the communication with the UMS.
"Supported Environment": Find in this section in the latest release notes, which servers, clients, and backend databases are supported.
High Availability (HA): Find useful how-tos and the reference guide around your HA installation.
IGEL Cloud Gateway: Find how-tos, the reference guide, and additional information concerning the management of endpoints outside the company network.