Download page MDM Setup Guide.
MDM Setup Guide
- UMS 5.09.100 or higher
ICG 1.04.100 or higher
You need an Apple account (Apple ID and password). If you do not have one, please create an account at https://appleid.apple.com.
This how-to explains the necessary steps to set up IGEL Mobile Device Management Essentials (MDM) in the UMS. Perform the steps in the given order.
Step 1: Import the iOS Firmware Metadata File
Import the iOS firmware metadata into the UMS:
IGEL Firmware for iOS <version>.xml.
MDM is not further developed by IGEL. Only the profile for enabling the management of devices with iOS 10.3 is available.
Direct download link: IGEL Firmware for iOS.
- Start the UMS Console.
- In the upper left, click System and select Import ... > Import Firmwares.
- In the file chooser dialog, select the
IGEL Firmware for iOS <version>.xmlfile.
- Click Open.
The firmware will be imported. Upon success, a confirmation window will appear.
Step 2: Connect the UMS to the Apple Push Service
(1) Generate a certificate-signing request for the Apple Certificates Portal:
- Start the UMS Console.
- Go to UMS Administration > Global configuration > Mobile Devices > Apple iOS devices.
You will find the status message set to Incomplete.
- Click the
You will be prompted to save a *.csr file, which contains the generated certificate-signing request. icon (Create and Save Certificate Signing Request for MDM Apple Push Certificate).
- Save the *.csr file to a location you can remember.
When completed, the status message will change to Waiting for upload of the Apple MDM Push Certificate.
Now you need to create an Apple MDM Push Certificate and import it, as described in the next two steps (2) and (3).
(2) Generate an Apple Push Certificate in the Apple Push Certificates Portal:
- Open the Apple Push Certificates Portal at https://identity.apple.com/pushcert/ and log in with your Apple ID and password.
- Click Create a Certificate.
- Accept the Terms & Conditions.
- Upload the certificate-signing request (*.csr file) which you created in step (1).
- Download the resulting push certificate (*.pem file) to a location you can remember.
(3) Import the Apple Push Certificate in the UMS Console to connect the ICG with the Apple Push Service.
Click theicon (Import Apple MDM Push Certificate) to import the MDM Apple Push Certificate into the UMS.
When the certificate was successfully imported, the status message will change to Complete - Certificate expires at [date].
Via the ICG, the UMS will try to establish a connection to the Apple Push Service.
When the connection between the ICG and the Apple Push Service was successfully established, in the UMS, under UMS Administration > Global configuration > Mobile Devices, the Appns Status field will be Connected.
You are now ready to start connecting mobile devices to the UMS, see Connecting Mobile Devices to the UMS.