You want to migrate your IGEL Universal Management Suite to a new server.
The following scenarios can occur when migrating the UMS to a new server:
- Migrating the UMS with the embedded data source: With the Same Embedded Database.
- Migrating the UMS with the external data source: With the Same External Database.
- Migrating the UMS and changing the data source: With a Different Database.
The switch from a standard UMS installation to a High Availability installation, which involves the migration of the existing UMS Server to a new host and, if the embedded database is in use, the move to the external database, is described separately under Switching from a Standard UMS Installation to an HA Installation.
Recommendation: The Same Software and Database State
It is NOT recommended to combine the migration and update procedures, e.g. to move from UMS 6.01 to 6.08. It is advised to update the UMS Server and migrate it afterward, or vice versa.
During the migration, there will be no negative impact on your endpoint devices – they will continue to work autonomously. Exception: login via Shared Workplace (SWP). For details, see Which Features of IGEL OS Will Be Affected If the UMS Is Down?.
The move provides an opportunity to remove any UMS database data which are no longer used. For example, you can
- delete endpoint devices that no longer exist
- delete profiles that are no longer used
- remove files and firmware updates that are no longer needed
It is highly recommended to create a backup before carrying out the cleanup (as a backup of the system running) and another one after the cleanup.