Download page Switching from a Standard UMS Installation to an HA Installation.
Switching from a Standard UMS Installation to an HA Installation
You have a standard UMS installation, but you want to switch to a High Availability (HA) installation.
- A standard UMS installation with either an embedded or an external database
A set of servers with the operating system supported by the UMS; see the "Supported Environment" section of the release notes.
It is highly recommended to use only new servers for the HA installation, i.e. without the existing UMS installation.
- A database system supported by the UMS; see the "Supported Environment" section of the release notes.
- All installation requirements described under HA: Installation Requirements are fulfilled.
The required version of the UMS is downloaded from the IGEL Download Server.
Do not use the UMS version older than the version of the existing UMS installation!
The switch from a standard UMS installation to an HA installation involves the migration of the existing UMS Server to a new host and, in the case of the embedded database, the move to the external database.
The migration procedure generally involves the following steps:
- Backing up and, if necessary, cleaning existing data
- If the embedded database is in use: Setting up an external database and transferring the data from the existing database to the new one
Installing the first HA server with the
tc.keystorefile of the previous UMS installation, connecting it to the external database and transferring the files from the previous UMS installation
For the first HA server, take a new host machine, i.e. without the existing UMS installation. After you make sure that the migration has been successful, you can uninstall the old UMS Server and reinstall it with the HA extension.
- Adding further components to the HA network, e.g. further UMS Servers, Load Balancers, UMS Console
Example with an Embedded DB
Detailed instructions are provided below. Follow them in the order given: