Download page IGEL UMS Installation under Windows.
IGEL UMS Installation under Windows
The following article describes the complete procedure for installing the standard IGEL Universal Management Suite (UMS) with an embedded database under Windows. If your required installation differs, you can select individual components, e.g. for a standalone UMS Console installation.
Standard Installation of the UMS
To install the IGEL UMS under Windows, proceed as follows:
Download the current version of the IGEL Universal Management Suite from the IGEL Download Server.
For integrity and security purposes, it is recommended to verify the checksum of the downloaded software.
Launch the installer.
You will need administrator rights in order to install the UMS.
- Read and confirm the License Agreement.
- Read the Information regarding the installation process and click Next.
- Only if this is an update installation: If you already have a UMS installation, select the file name for the backup of your embedded database. If you do not choose a file name and click on Next, no backup will be created. See also Updating under Windows.
- Only if this is a new installation: Select the folder for the installation under Select Destination Location. (Default:
Choose the components to be installed under Select Components.
with UMS Console
with Embedded Database
Only UMS Console
UMS High Availability Network
UMS Load Balancer
UMS Web App (early feature set)
The embedded database is suitable for most purposes. If not disabled, the embedded database will automatically be installed if you select Standard UMS.
The use of an external database system is recommended in the following cases:
- You manage a large network of devices.
- A dedicated database system is already in use in your company.
- You integrate the High Availability or the Distributed UMS solution.
For more information regarding the use of the IGEL UMS with external databases, see Connecting External Database Systems.
- Read the Memory (RAM) requirements and click Next if your system fulfills them.
- Select the UMS data directory. (Default:
Under User Credentials for DB-connect, enter the user name and password for the database connection – unless you are planning to connect the UMS to an MS SQL Server via Active Directory. For more information on connecting via AD, see Connecting the UMS to an SQL Server via Active Directory.
The credentials for the database connection are created.
The user name and password are case-sensitive.
Initially, the credentials entered here are also the credentials of the UMS superuser. After the installation, the credentials for the database user and those for the UMS superuser can be changed independently from each other. For more information about the UMS superuser, see Changing the UMS Superuser.
- If the internal Windows firewall is active on your host: Review the settings under Windows firewall settings and change them where necessary. Each port that is activated here will be set as rule in the Windows firewall. For more information about the usage of ports, see UMS Communication Ports.
- Choose a folder name under Select Start Menu Folder.
- Read the summary and start the installation process.
The installer will install the UMS, create entries in the Windows software directory, and in the start menu, and will place a shortcut for the UMS Console on the desktop.
- Close the program after completing the installation by clicking on Finish.
If you have chosen the standard installation, the UMS Server will run with the embedded database.
- Start the UMS Console.
- Connect the UMS Console to the UMS Server using the access data for the database that you entered during the installation. For more information, see Connecting the UMS Console to the IGEL UMS Server.
It is recommended to check your antivirus software and, if installed, other management software like HP Device Manager for possible conflicts if
- the installation of the IGEL UMS fails
- the UMS Server service does not start when the installation is complete, and the manual start of the service fails. For details on how to start services, see IGEL UMS HA Services and Processes.
- there are problems when connecting the UMS Console to the UMS Server
Silent Installation of the UMS Console
You can carry out the installation silently by first creating an
.inf file and then launching the installation using a command line. For further information, see Unattended / Silent Installation of the UMS Console.
Silent installation is only possible for the UMS Console. It is not possible for the UMS Server, the UMS Administrator, or the UMS Web App.