Download page Secure Shadowing (VNC with SSL/TLS).
Secure Shadowing (VNC with SSL/TLS)
Menu path: Setup > System > Shadowing
Limitations for Special Characters
Some special characters might not be transmitted through the VNC connection. The processing of special characters depends on the following factors:
- Keyboard layout configured on the VNC client and on the VNC server
- VNC viewer in use: An external viewer and the internal viewer behave differently.
- Firmware version of the endpoint device
The Secure Shadowing function is only relevant to clients which meet the requirements for secure shadowing and have enabled the corresponding option. Secure shadowing improves security when remote maintaining a client via VNC at a number of locations:
- Encryption: The connection between the shadowing computer and the shadowed client is encrypted.
This is independent of the VNC viewer used.
- Integrity: Only clients in the UMS database can be shadowed.
- Authorization: Only authorized persons (UMS administrators with adequate authorizations) can shadow clients.
Direct shadowing without logging on to the UMS is not possible.
- Limiting: Only the VNC viewer program configured in the UMS (internal or external VNC viewer) can be used for shadowing.
Direct shadowing of a client by another computer is likewise not permitted.
- Logging: Connections established via secure shadowing are recorded in the UMS server log.
In addition to the connection data, the associated user data (shadowing UMS administrator, optional) can be recorded in the log too.