Download page Recommendation for a Free Signed Certificate for ICG.
Recommendation for a Free Signed Certificate for ICG
Solution Based on Experience from the Field
This article provides a solution that has not been approved by the IGEL Research and Development department. Therefore, official support cannot be provided by IGEL. Where applicable, test the solution before deploying it to a productive environment.
This article addresses the issue when the customers need a signed cert, but don’t want to use the UMS as CA.
You can use "letsencrypt" as a CA for quickly and easily grabbing a FREE certificate for your ICG server (or for any server where you need a signed cert). At this point, LetsEncrypt is trusted by all the browsers and it has a completely automated process for initially retrieving a new singed cert and also for renewing.
- UMS version: any
Here's the process that we followed on an Ubuntu 16.04 Digital Ocean droplet. (This page is good overview: https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/ubuntuxenial-other )
- Open up incoming port 80 (temporarily) on your server firewall to allow for automated verification that you control the domain (see below).
- Make sure that the FQDN names that you'll be getting certs for do DNS resolve to your droplet (verification will fail if they don't).
- Install certbot like this (from above link):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install certbot
- Run the command:
sudo certbot certonly
- Choose "spin up a temporary web server" (this is used for let's encrypt to fetch a page and verify that you control the domain).
- Enter your domain names (separated by a comma) that you want to create a cert for and press "enter".
- Finish the remaining questions.
- If all was successful, you'll find your server certificate (cert1.pem), root CA Chain (chain1.pem), and private key (privkey1.pem) in the
/etc/letsencrypt/archive/<your domain name>folder.
- These files are all ready and in the right format to add to UMS and create your