This description is valid for IGEL OS 11.05.140 or higher.
Preparing the Image
- Connect the prepared USB memory stick to the target device and switch on the target device.
- Select Standard Installation + Recovery or Verbose Installation + Recovery.
- Select the language for the installation process.
The installation program IGEL OS Creator opens. Here, you can configure settings for the installation process and start it.
Optional; only available if your device has booted in UEFI mode: If you want to install the legacy/BIOS version of IGEL OS 11, activate Force Legacy Installation.If you have activated Force Legacy Installation, remember to set the system to legacy/BIOS mode after installation.
- Optional; only available if your device has booted in UEFI mode: If you want to use an MS-DOS partition table instead of a GPT partition table, activate Force MS-DOS Partitioning.
- Activate Factory Image and enter your factory ID.
- Check the Target drive to ensure that the system is installed on the desired drive.
- If you want to exclude features of IGEL OS, e.g. to save storage space, click Feature Selection and edit the settings as required.
All: Select all features
None: Select no feature
Feature: Sort the list alphabetically
Size: Sort the list by the memory requirements of the features
- If you want to change initial settings for the devices you are about to deploy, click Edit.
The IGEL Setup opens, enabling you to change the settings in the same way as with a regular IGEL OS installation. The changes are stored on the USB memory stick from which the IGEL OS Creator (OSC) is executed. For details about the settings, see the chapters Setup and the subsequent chapters in the IGEL OS Reference Manual.
- If you want to undo your changes and restore the original settings, click Reset.
If you want to change some device settings after the first boot for functional testing, enable Reset after first boot. These changes will not be persistent; after the second boot, the image will be restored to its initial state.
If Reset after first boot is activated in your factory preload image, the first boot of your devices MUST take place BEFORE shipment to end customers!
- To start the installation, click Install firmware.
- Confirm the warning dialog.
The installation program will set up IGEL OS 11 on the target drive. If you see the success message, the installation is complete.
- Click on Shutdown.
- Read out the image from your device to deploy it on the units.
- To ensure the integrity of the image, you should create checksums of the original image and of the images that are deployed, and then compare them. For details, see IGEL Third-party Endpoint Partners: Ensuring Image Integrity with Checksums.
- Proceed as appropriate:
Perform the following procedure on the original device and on every unit on which the image has been deployed.
The first boot test MUST take place with each unit BEFORE it is rolled out. (Otherwise, the device would present the green test screen instead of the IGEL Setup Assistant.)
- Start the device and review the green test screen.
- Click OK.
You can access IGEL OS in a regular way and perform your tests.
- Shut the device down.
The device is ready for roll-out.