Download page Create USB installation medium (Linux).
Create USB installation medium (Linux)
- Download the ZIP archive for OS Creator from our download server:
- For new devices, use the standard installer (e. g. OSC_11.01.100.zip).
- For older devices or if you haven't been able to boot the installer at all, use the legacy installer (e. g. OSC_11.01.100_legacy.zip).
- Unzip the contents into a local directory.
- From this directory, you will need the ISO file (e. g.
osc11.01.100_legacy.iso) to create a bootable medium.
Connect a USB memory stick with at least 4 GB capacity to the computer.All existing data on the USB memory stick will be destroyed.
Open a terminal emulator and enter the command
dmesgto determine the device name of the USB memory stick.
[19514.742229] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access JetFlash Transcend 8GB 1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[19514.742805] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[19514.744688] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 15425536 512-byte logical blocks: (7.89 GB/7.35 GiB)
[19514.745370] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[19514.745376] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 (0) 00 00 00
[19514.746040] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[19514.752438] sdb: sdb1
In this example, the device name searched for is
/dev/sdb.Ensure that you have determined the correct device name. Use of the
ddcommand in the next step can destroy your operating system if you use the wrong device name.
- The following command writes the installation data to the USB memory stick:
dd if=osc11.01.100.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M oflag=direct
sdXwith the device name of the USB memory stick that you have determined.
ddcommand has terminated, you can see the terminal emulator input prompt again.
Wait for about 3 seconds after the
ddcommand has terminated, and remove the USB memory stick.If you remove the USB memory stick immediately, there is a possibility that the writing process has not been completed. In this case, the data on the memory stick gets corrupted.
The USB memory stick for OSC installation is ready for use.