Download page Unix Desktop.
Menu path: Setup > Sessions > NoMachine NX Client > [Session Name] > Unix Desktop
Here, you can specify which window manager or display manager is to be launched on the server when the user logs on with the NoMachine NX client. The window manager must be available on the server.
This area is active if the parameter Setup > Sessions > NoMachine NX Client > [Session Name] > Session is set to "Unix".
- KDE: KDE will be launched.
- Gnome: Gnome will be launched.
- CDE: CDE will be launched.
- XDM: The display manager XDM will be launched.
- Custom: A custom window manager will be used.
Settings options if "Desktop" is set to "XDM":
- Login: These options are available if Desktop is set to “XDM”.
- Let the NX server decide: The configuration of the NoMachine NX server will be used for logon purposes.
- Query an X desktop manager: The NoMachine NX client will connect to the X desktop manager of the computer defined under Host. The set Port will be used for this connection (default: 177).
- Broadcast XDM request: The NoMachine NX client will send a request for available XDM servers in the subnet via the set Port (default: 177). The NoMachine NX client will use the first XDM server that responds to the request.
- Get a list of available X desktop managers: The NoMachine NX client will send a request to the computer defined under Host via the set Port (default: 177). This computer will reply with a list of available XDM servers. This option is relevant to older versions of the NoMachine NX server.
Settings options if "Desktop" is set to "Custom":
- Run console: The terminal set by default will be launched. Example: Xfce terminal
- Run default X client script on server: The script for the default desktop environment set by default will be launched. Example:
- Run the following command: Start command for the desired application or the desired window manager. Example:
- Floating window: The session will be shown in a separate window. This option makes particularly efficient use of bandwidth.
- Use X agent encoding
☑ The data traffic will be decoded by the NX agent rather than in the X protocol. (default)
☐ The data traffic will remain in the X protocol and will be tunneled and compressed by the NX proxy.
- Use taint of X replies
☑ Trivial sources of X roundtrips will be suppressed by generating the response on the side of the X client. This option is relevant to older versions of the NoMachine NX server. (default)
- New virtual desktop: The session will take place on a new virtual desktop on the server side.