Reducing the amount of software running on a system reduces its attack surface. Therefore a basic security measure for IGEL OS 10 is to remove all unused features.
By default IGEL OS comes with a wide variety of features enabled. To disable any of these, do the following:
- In the IGEL Setup go to System > Firmware Customization > Features.
- Uncheck all the features that you do not intend to use.
If you do not use local printers on the endpoint device that you want to share with others, uncheck:
Do not remove the Custom Partition feature if you have a custom partition that contains software or data for which you have no backup copy. After disabling the feature and a reboot the contents of the custom partition will be lost.Do not remove Fluendo Gstreamer Codec Plugins or Hardware Video Acceleration if you use sessions that make use of these features, see the FAQ IGEL Linux Features that Require the Multimedia Codec Pack.
- Printing (Internet Printing Protocol CUPS)
- Printing (Line Printer LPD)
- Printing (TCP/IP)
- Printing (ThinPrint)
- Click Apply.
- Reboot the endpoint device.