When the IGEL support team asks you to provide your device's log files, follow the instructions below.
There are two opportunities to send log files to the support team:
- Start the UMS Console and enter your User Name and Password.
- Click Connect.
The UMS Console window opens.
- Open the Help submenu and select Save TC files for support.
The dialog Save TC files for support opens.
- Select the device in question and click Next.
The dialog Select a target directory for the zipped files opens.
Select a directory which is suitable for saving the zipped log files, and click Next.
A confirmation dialog shows the path and file name under which the log files are stored.
Depending on your system, you can copy the path using [Ctl] + [C] and paste it into the File Explorer's address bar.
- Open your system's File Explorer, go to the path portion of the file location.
- Send the ZIP file to the IGEL support team.
- Close the confirmation dialog by clicking Finish.
The above procedure collects only those logs that have been written since the last system start. To allow persistent logs, you can configure a dedicated partition for debug logs. For more information, also on adding additional logs, see Extended Logging With Syslog, Tcpdump and Netlog.
When the UMS is not accessible or there is an issue with network connectivity, you can still extract system logs from a device and send them to support. You will need a USB stick, preferably formatted to NTFS format, to transfer the logs to.
Setting Up the Device
- In the IGEL Setup, go to Devices > Storage Devices > Storage Hotplug and enable Storage Hotplug.
- Under Accessories > Terminals, click
Identifying the USB Stick
- Plug the USB stick into the IGEL OS device and start the terminal session.
- Log in as
root(by default, no password).
- Enter the following commands:
- Note the name of the USB stick:
Writing the Log File
- In the terminal, run the command
cd /userhome/media/[Name of your USB stick].
If there are spaces in the device name, use quotation marks "". Example:
cd /userhome/media/"NEW VOLUME"
If there are no spaces in the device name, quotation marks are not required.
- Run the command
journalctl > logfile.txt. This will create the system log files on the USB stick with the file name
- Safely eject the USB stick from the IGEL OS device.
You can now examine this log file yourself or send it to IGEL support for analysis.