On IGEL WES7 thin clients installing a snapshot from a USB storage medium fails with the message "Failed to access Snapshot File...". You may find that some media will work while others don't.
The USB storage medium has the wrong formatting.
USB sticks are sold pre-formatted either
- with a Master Boot Record (MBR) and a FAT32 filesystem or
- a FAT32 filesystem without an MBR ("Superfloppy")
Only USB storage media with an MBR can be used to install a snapshot on IGEL WES7 thin clients.
To erase a medium formatted as Supperfloppy and format it with an MBR on Windows, follow these steps:
- Launch a Command Prompt as administrator.
- Run the command
SELECT DISK 1Warning: d
isk 0is almost always the internal system hard disk. If there is only one attached hard disk, then
disk 1should be the USB stick. Double-check to avoid overwriting the wrong medium.
- Run the following commands:
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK
- Use Prepare USB Device from the local IGEL setup update menu to complete the preparation. .On a Linux system, a medium with a FAT32 filesystem and MBR will be detected as
/dev/sdc1, a Superfloppy as
Legal NoteIGEL's Terms & Conditions apply.