The procedure for installing the IGEL Universal Management Suite under Linux is as follows:
- Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
- Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 64 bit
- Oracle Linux 7.3 64 bit
From UMS Version 5.09, the required dependencies will automatically be installed by the UMS installer.
- Download the current version of the IGEL Universal Management Suite from the IGEL Download Server.
- Open a terminal emulator such as xterm and switch to the directory in which the installation file
Check whether the file is executable. If not, it can be made executable using the following command:
chmod u+x setup*.binYou will need
root/sudorights to carry out the installation.
- Execute the installation file as
This unzips the files into the
/tmpdirectory, starts the Java Virtual Machine contained and removes the temporary files after the installation procedure.
Start the installation procedure by pressing Enter.You can cancel the installation at any time by pressing the [Esc] key twice.
- Read and confirm the license agreement.
- Decide whether the installer will automatically install the required dependencies:
- Now: Installs the necessary dependencies automatically.
- Manual: Skips the installation. You will have to install the required dependencies manually if this has not already been done.
- Cancel installer: Aborts the installation procedure.
- Under Destination directory, select the directory in which the UMS is to be installed. (Default:
- If you update an existing UMS installation: Under Database backup, select a file for the backup of the embedded database as well as licenses and certificates. If you have already created a backup, you can also select No (continue) in order to skip this step. See also Updating under Linux.
- Under Installation type, select the scope of installation:
Freely selectable directories for file transfers are no longer supported. After completing the installation, move the existing files to the
- Complete: UMS Server and UMS Console
- Client only: UMS Console only
- HA net: High Availability configuration (requires a license)
ums_filetransfer/directory and use the Files and Firmware Update points in the UMS Console to make them available online again. You may also need to amend download addresses in the device configurations and profiles.
- Under Data directory, select the directory in which Universal Firmware Updates and files are to be saved. (Default:
- Select the run levels in which the UMS Server is to run.
- Under Database, select the desired database system.
The embedded database is suitable for most purposes. It is included in the standard installation. If you have to manage a large network of devices and a dedicated database system is already in use in your company, it is advisable to use this system. The same applies if the High Availability solution is used.
- Internal: The internal database (embedded database)
- Other: An external database server
- Enter a user name and password for database access.
- Specify whether you would like to create shortcuts for the UMS Console and UMS Administrator in the menu.
Check the summary of the installation settings and start the procedure by selecting Start installation.
If you have selected the standard installation, the UMS Server along with the internal database will be installed and started.
- Once the installation procedure is complete, open the UMS Console via the menu or with the command
- Connect the UMS Console to the UMS Server by entering the login data for the database that you specified during installation.