The procedure for installing the IGEL UMS under Linux is as follows:
- Download the current version of the IGEL Universal Management Suite from the IGEL Download Server.
- Open a terminal emulator such as xterm and switch to the directory in which the installation file
Check whether the installation file is executable. If not, it can be made executable with the following command:
chmod u+x setup*.binYou will need
sudorights to carry out the installation.
- Execute the installation file as
This unzips the files into the
/tmpdirectory, starts the included Java Virtual Machine, and removes the temporary files once the installation has been completed.
Start the installation procedure by pressing Enter.You can cancel the installation at any time by pressing the [Esc] key twice.
- Read and confirm the license agreement.
- Choose whether the installer will install the required dependencies:
- Now: Installs the necessary dependencies automatically.
- Manual: Skips the installation. You will have to install the required dependencies manually if this has not already been done.
- Cancel installer: Aborts the installation procedure.
- Under Destination directory, select the directory in which the UMS is to be installed. (Default:
- If you are updating an existing UMS installation: Under Database backup, select a file for the backup of the embedded database, licenses, and certificates. If you have already created a backup, you can select No (continue) in order to skip this step. See also Updating under Linux.
- Under Installation type, select the scope of installation:
Custom file transfer directories are no longer supported. After completing the installation, move the existing files to the
- Complete: UMS Server and UMS Console
- Client only: UMS Console only
- HA Net: High Availability configuration
ums_filetransfer/directory and edit Files and Firmware update in the UMS Console to bring them online again. You may also need to amend download addresses in the device configurations and profiles.
- Choose whether the UMS Web App should be installed.
- Confirm the system requirements dialog if your system fulfills them.
- Under Data directory, select the directory in which Universal Firmware Updates and files are to be saved. (Default:
- Under Database selection, select the desired database system.
The embedded database is suitable for most purposes. It is included in the standard installation.
- Internal: The embedded database
- Other: An external database server
If you manage a large network of devices or a dedicated database system is already in use in your company, it is advisable to use this external database system. The same applies if you integrate the High Availability solution. For more information on using external databases for the IGEL UMS, see Connecting External Database Systems.
Under User name, enter a user name and password for the database connection.
The credentials for the database connection are created.
Initially, the credentials entered here are also the credentials of the UMS superuser. After the installation, the credentials for the database user and those for the UMS superuser can be changed independently from each other. For more information about the UMS superuser, see Changing the UMS Superuser.
- Specify whether you would like to create shortcuts for the UMS Console and UMS Administrator on the menu.
Check the summary of the installation settings and start the procedure by selecting Start installation.
If you have selected the standard installation, the UMS Server along with the embedded database will be installed and started.
Once the installation procedure is complete, open the UMS Console via the menu or with the command
It is generally NOT recommended to execute the command
sudo. On Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8,
RemoteManager.shcan be executed only without
- Connect the UMS Console to the UMS Server by entering the login data for the database that you specified during the installation.