You have a UMS installation with the external database and want to migrate to a new UMS Server with the same external database.
The migration procedure generally involves the following steps:
- Backing up the old server. Checklist for the backups:
Server configurations (host-specific server configurations that differ from the defaults are noted down separately)
UMS Licensing ID (see Transferring or Registering the UMS Licensing ID)
- Stopping the
IGEL RMGUIServerservice on the old server
- Adding the existing external database as the data source for the new server
- Activating the data source
- Transferring the backed-up data to the new server
- Adjusting DHCP tag and DNS alias on the new server OR creating a profile with the IP of the new server for remote administration
On the Old Server
- Before the migration, make the backups as described in the "External Database" section under Creating a Backup.
- In the UMS Console, go to UMS Administration > UMS Network > Server and note the process ID of the server.
- Stop the service
IGEL RMGUIServer(for instructions, see IGEL UMS HA Services and Processes
)and set the startup type for it to "Disabled" in order to prevent accidental parallel operation with the new UMS Server.
On the New Server
- Install the UMS on the new server. For the installation instructions, see Installing an IGEL UMS Server.
- Go to UMS Administrator > Datasource > Add and enter the connection properties of the existing database.
- Activate the data source. Wait until the UMS Server fully starts, i.e. the UMS Console can connect with it.
- In the UMS Administrator > Backups, restore the backup of server configurations. If necessary, transfer host-specific server configurations to the new server.
- Transfer the UMS Licensing ID of the previous UMS installation to the new server: UMS Administrator > UMS Licensing ID Backup > Restore. Alternatively, you can register the new UMS Licensing ID, which was created during the installation of the new server. For detailed instructions, see Transferring or Registering the UMS Licensing ID.
- Copy files from
[IGEL installation directory]/rmguiserver/webapps/ums_filetransferto the new server – without the
If the ICG is used: Connect the existing ICGs as described under How to Connect to the ICG after the UMS Server Migration or New Installation with the Same Database.
- Restart the service
Adapt, if necessary, the DHCP tag and the DNS alias
igelrmserverwith the IP or FQDN of the new UMS Server. See Registering Devices Automatically on the IGEL UMS.
The configuration of the DHCP tag and the DNS alias is not a setting that can be made within the IGEL software. You must configure these within your individual network environment on the corresponding DHCP and DNS servers.
If you have used and adjusted the DNS alias and the DHCP option, the following step is NOT required since the device can resolve the name
In the local configuration, the device always remembers the IP of the UMS Server of its first registration. It is thus possible that the old IP address is displayed under System > Remote Management. Therefore, it makes sense to manually set an entry for remote administration after the migration:
- Create a profile in the UMS:
- Go to System > Remote Management and click Add.
- Under UMS Server, enter the IP of the new UMS Server.
- Apply this profile globally, to the entire structure.
- Create a profile in the UMS:
For HA installations only: Update the host assignment for job execution. For the instructions, see Updating Host Assignment for Job Execution.
After the procedure is complete, open the UMS Console and go to UMS Administration > UMS Network > Server to check if there is an entry for the previous UMS Server among the listed components. If so, select the entry and click Delete in the context menu.