When buddy update is used, one or more machines convert to IGEL OS first and then serve as buddy update servers.
The configuration comprises the following steps:
- Setting up the Buddy Update Servers
- Creating a Profile for the Buddy Update Clients
- Assigning the Profile to the Target Machines
Setting Up the Buddy Update Servers
- Convert the machines that are to be used as buddy update servers as described under Configuring the OSCW Installer in Normal Mode and Starting the Conversion.
- Configure the converted machines as buddy update servers as described under Configuring the Buddy Update Server, "Basic Configuration".
Creating a Profile for the Buddy Update Clients
- In the structure tree of the UMS Console, go to Profiles and open New Profile in the context menu.
- In the New Profile dialog, change the settings as follows:
- Profile Name: A name for the profile, e. g. "IGEL OS Creator for Windows - target machines"
- Based on: Select "IGEL Unified Management Agent 1.xx.xxx", e. g. "IGEL Unified Management Agent 1.01.100".
- Click Ok.
The configuration dialog opens.
- Click Firmware.
You are taken to System > OSC > Firmware where you can set all relevant parameters.
- Change the settings as follows (click the
icon to enable the configuration; the icon will change to ):
- Select Buddy mode.
- Username: Username that is configured on the buddy update servers.
- Password: Common password associated with the Username.
- Click Save.
Assigning the Profile to the Buddy Update Clients
- Select the directory that contains your target machines and in the Assigned objects area, click .
- In the Assign objects dialog, select the profile you have created beforehand, click
- In the Update time dialog, select Now and click Ok.
- Confirm the Information dialog.
The target machines download the firmware files. This may take a few minutes.
The conversion profile is assigned to all target machines.
All target machines have found a buddy update server, which is indicated by the Firmware Description "IGEL OSC Ready for Conversion".